The luscious vanilla bean aroma that enters your house as these bake, already tells you that these cookies are amazing. They are soft, chewy and have the perfect touch of vanilla bean, paired with the brightness of lemon zest. Not to mention, they are the perfect cookies for cut out sugar cookies.
The trick to amazing vanilla sugar cookies, is high quality vanilla bean paste. This truly brings the cookies to another level. Using vanilla extract, will turn out fine, but will not give you the rich vanilla flavor that you are looking for. You can find the vanilla bean paste here. YOU NEED THIS FOR ANY BAKING ENDEAVOUR. ITS AMAZING.
3 1/4 Cups Flour (3 cups for the dough, and 1/4 cup for rolling)
1 1/4 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Lemon Zest
2 Sticks Butter
1 1/4 Cups Sugar
1 Tbsp + 1/4 Tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- Sift the flour, then add the baking soda, and salt. Set the bowl aside.
- In another small bowl whisk your egg and lemon zest and set it aside.
- In another large bowl, cream room temperature butter until it is fluffy. Add your granulated sugar, and continue beating until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla bean paste, and continue to mix it until well combined.
- Add the egg mixture and beat until fully incorporated.
- Then add the flour mixture and beat it until it’s a nice thick dough.
- At this point, you can knead the dough a couple of times, and then refrigerate it for 4-6 hours.
- When making the cookies, cut them with cookie cutters, place them on your cookie sheet, and place the sheet in the freezer for 15 minutes.This allows the cookie to freeze a little, so that it keeps its shape.
- Bake the cookies at 375 degrees for 8 mins.